Heading Home

Another long travel day. My flight to Miami leaves at 7:30 and Mariela at Condor's House insists that I should be at the airport 3 hours before, so I'm up at 3:00 to catch a cab at 4:00. I arrive at the airport at 4:30 and I'm checked in and through security by 4:40.

The upside is that they also give me a pass to the VIP lounge at checkin, so I head over there. The lounge is great, like the lobby in a first class hotel with tables, couches, TV, free wifi, drinks and breakfast with espresso machine. I relax and browse the internet while sipping several cafe americanos until the attendant lets me know that my flight is boarding. It's a short walk to the gate next door and with my priority boarding pass I just walk right onto the plane.

You'd think that they would move this stuff somewhere besides the takeoff point


Coastline of Peru


And shortly the first class service commences. This is the first course of breakfast


And the second course


Somewhere over the Caribbean


After a light lunch we land in Miami on time. I have a 2 hour layover then off to Chicago. The flight to Chicago, however, is delayed. First 20 minutes, then 45, then an hour, then an hour and a half. Finally we're in the air. I catch the Blue Line downtown somewhere after 8:00 and I'm back home by 9. I call Lou Malnati's for dinner and throw the worst of the trekking clothes into the washer and call it a day.

Good to sleep in a real bed again.